First National Bank:
On October 28, 1899 The Bank of Crossville was chartered. The bank’s first directors were James W. Dorton, H.G. Dunbar, Richard Hill, J.U. Wallings, L.D. Smith, James B. Johnson, and Rufus W. Powell. H.G Dunbar was their first president, Dorton was V.P.
The bank began its first day on March 19, 1900 with $25,000, by the end of the day only $20,721 was left. Mr. G.M. Martin was their first customer.
The Bank of Crossville started their business in the front room of the original Chronicle building. The bank’s future home was being built on the corner of First and Main Street.
On July 9, 1910 the Bank of Crossville received a National Charter and became the First National Bank of Crossville. J.W. Dorton was President and J.E. Burnett was V.P.
C.E. Keyes was the attorney for the First National Bank for 30 years. Keyes was also the first city attorney and recorder.
Later in 1931 the bank absorbed Cumberland Bank and Trust Company.
In 1953 the bank we know today was built on Main Street.
Lawyers on Main Street:
-Dr. Thomas Snodgrass brought his family to Crossville in 1874. He was a doctor and a lawyer. His son, C.E. Snodgrass was elected to Congress in 1898 and 1900, followed by a term as judge in the Fifth Circuit Court of Tennessee in 1905. He also served for ten years as judge in the Court of Civil Appeals before returning to Crossville to practice law and preach at the Christian Church. C.E.’s son, Jonas L. Snodgrass served as his father’s law clerk in Crossville.
-Elijah G. Tollett and his sons also practiced law with the Snodgrass Family after a term with the State House of Representatives.
-G.W. Cline practiced law in Crossville as well.
The Crossville Chronicle:
The true beginning of the Crossville Chronicle was in 1894 with Arthur J. Forbes as the editor. A couple years later in 1896 S.C. Bishop ran the Chronicle until he died in 1950. The Chronicle’s first home was in the basement of George W. Cline Store until their building on Main Street was built in 1899. The Chronicle remained on Main Street until 1939.
Cumberland County Post Office:
The Crossville Post Office on Main Street was established on August 22, 1836. It was one of nine post offices in the county. The Main Street location’s first postmaster was William Gibson.
First Train: September 19, 1900
The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1857. The second courthouse was built in 1886. It burned on February 15, 1905. That same year (1905) the courthouse we know today was built using local sandstone and Indian limestone.
The jail was built in 1897. It was said to be “mob and drill proof.”
Cumberland Coal & Coke Company:
Coal mining was attempted at numerous locations throughout the county from the late 1800s till the 1950s.
- Cumberland County’s First Hundred Years, Bullard & Krechniak
- Crossville Newspapers 1878-1888, Kirkeminde
- Cumberland County Tennessee, Dickinson
- The Way It Was, Crossville, Cumberland County, Stanley
- TN Virtual Archives