Beginning Cumberland County, Post #3
Theodore Roosevelt on the pioneers of Tennessee, “Their grim, harsh, narrow lives were yet strangely fascinating and full of adventurous toil and danger; none but natures as strong, as freedom-loving as theirs could have endured existence on the terms which these men found pleasurable. Their iron surroundings made a mould which turned out all alike. They resembled one another and differed from all the rest of the world– even the world of America– in dress, in customs and in mode of life.”
In total three attempts were made to establish Cumberland County. In 1837 the attempt created Cheatham County and in 1844 no result came of the attempt. Finally, in 1855 Cumberland County presented its own petition and was granted the county created from the six far corners.
In the year 1855, Cumberland County was finally made official. Taking land from White, Morgan, Bledsoe, Rhea, Putnam, and Fentress Counties. On November 16, 1855, the Legislature passed an act entitled: An Act to Establish the County of Cumberland in this State.” (Bullard & Krechniak, Cumberland County’s First Hundred Years, p. 48)
First political offices in Cumberland County:
County Superintendent, 1865: Thos C. Center
Registers, 1856: David Norris
County Court Clerk, 1856: William D. Lawson
Circuit Court Clerk, 1866: J.T. Narramore
Sherriff, 1856: J.L. Narramore and Craven Sherrill
County Judge, 1880: D.K. Young
Chairman, 1880: Wm. Whitlock
County Trustee, 1861: J.F. Greer, Jr. (Tax Collector)
Clerk and Master of Chancery Court, 1888: S.C. Brown
“Section 1. Be in enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee, that the new county is hereby established by the name of Cumberland: beginning at Jack Officer’s in Putnam County, running thence a south direction to the thirteenth mile tree, on the turnpike road leading from Sparta, in White County, to Kingston, in Roane County; thence, continuing in the same direction, to the Bledsoe County line, by the way of the Forked Ford on the Caney Fork river, and so as to include the place where George Thomas lives, in the new county; thence running eastwardly to Hiram Stone’s; thence to Tollett’s mill, on the head of the Sequatchie Valley; thence to Thompson’s mill on the Stock road in Rhea County; thence to, C.G. Gibson’s; thence northwardly to the Turnpike road before mentioned, leading from Sparta, to Kingston, and where the same crosses Mammy’s Creek; thence, to the Bridge on Daddy’s Creek; thence to Davis’ Ford, on Obed’s River with its meanderings, to the mouth of Otter Creek; thence, to the mouth of Wolf Pen Branch at Clear Creek; thence, up Clear Creek, including T. Tabor’s place, and to the Emory Road west of Brice’s Creek, and east of Lee Taylor’s stand; thence, with said road to the beginning: including portions of White, Rhea, Bledsoe, Morgan, Fentress, and Putnam Counties.” (Bullard & Krechniak, p. 48-49
The beginning of hope, the beginning of prosperity, the beginning of our beautiful county, Cumberland County.